Thursday 9 February 2017

Happy in the Void

Stuck in between jam packed weeks of just work, constituting of the sword of submissions and deadlines hanging above our heads, eating a delicious meal helps create a short time distraction. It helps create a void in which among all the chaos, it's only you, and your plate of food. Till that plate is wiped clean, you are within your void, and nothing can bother you for that short moment.

So, one hot afternoon, Ansaba and I decided to skip the usual mundane sambaar rice waiting for us back home and headed towards Eat And Drink, to feast on some Malabar Biryani. This restaurant is frequently visited from everyone from our college - it's cheap, the food is simple and delicious, and for my fellow Malayalee classmates, its a taste of home.

The restaurant is located on top of a juice shop, and the only indication that it exists there, is the small board kept at the bottom of the stairs, with an arrow pointing upwards.
We walk in starved and our eyes feast on a tray of fried fish going out the kitchen towards the tables. It is a long bright rectangular room, with more than ample sunlight, and tables segregated with half height wooden partitions. But just as the name suggests, you are only there to Eat And Drink, and looking for anything more, wouldn't suffice. We didn't delay much longer and settle down at a table by the windows.
We place our orders, and within five minutes we are served.



I dive right in.
I push aside the rice, and in the middle lies a large chicken piece and some curry. Mix them all together and I start eating.
I am in my void now.
It's only me and my plate of biryani.

I forgot about the hot sun burning my thighs, I forgot about the baby crying at the table behind us. I forget about Ansaba as well, and we quietly eat with no words passing between us. We wipe our plates clean. All that is left, is a few bones on the plate, and a feeling of deep satisfaction and happiness. Slowly, the void also starts clearing up, the restaurant becomes noisier, and we can feel the heat radiating from the glass.

We get up to pay the bill, and it's back to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment